There are lots of things that determine a couple’s long-term compatibility – their values, their goals, their idea of fun, their commitment to work.
But what also matters is what “type” you are – and what “type” is your partner. Some types go together like bread & butter. Others like oil & water.
So which type are you, and what does this mean for your relationship potential?
Depending on how you answer the question “how do you respond to expectations”, you are one of 4 types:
- Upholders generally meet both inner and outer expectations, meaning they don’t let others or themselves down.
- Questioners meet inner expectations; they’ll only do something if they think it makes sense.
- Obligers (the biggest category) meet outer expectations but don’t always meet inner ones; they usually need some form of external accountability.
- Rebels resist both inner and outer expectations; if you ask a rebel to do something, they’ll likely resist.
So which pair is the best match? Rebels and Obligers.
Why? Because Obligers can stomach Rebels’ constant resistance – and even enjoy it – whereas Questioners and Upholders would go nuts.
Ultimately, Rebels and Obligers have something in common. Both resist inner expectation and this gives them this feeling that the world is pushing on them and they want to push back.
Pushing back is harder for Obligers than for rebels, which means the Rebel partner can help the Obliger partner do what they’d really like to.
Of course, your tendency isn’t the only factor that determines the success of your relationship. But it’s probably an under-appreciated one.
You’ve been dating & you’re serious about finding a relationship partner? Good.
Learning from your dates, so that you INCREASE your chances of truly connecting with someone special? Great!
Successful dating isn’t complicated – it actually comes down to 3 key dating habits. Here they are!
- Put yourself out there: if you’ve been single for a while & not meeting anyone, dating can feel daunting. But it doesn’t have to be. Getting yourself out there is the first (and most important) step – you’ve nothing to lose but your single life.
- Practice makes perfect: making small talk with someone new doesn’t always feel natural – but here’s the thing: awkward (or bad) conversation on a first or second date can be a real chemistry killer. Think of some interesting stories and topics that you enjoy and try them out on your date.
- Embrace the journey & you’ll reach your destination: if you’ve been dating for a while – or using dating apps – it can be easy to fall into “the dating vicious cycle” (you’re unhappy with your dating life – you show it on your date – your date doesn’t go well – repeat). Its time you break this cycle – be positive & the best version of you on your date (whether you feel chemistry or not) and you’ll soon enter “the dating virtuous cycle” (you’re positive & fun on your date – your date goes well and leads to a 2nd or 3rd date – which makes you feel even more positive and fun on your next date – repeat – repeat – relationship!).
You’re ready for a relationship but tired of online dating. Its time you tried something new.
Not all ways of meeting people happen online – in fact, the best ones don’t.
But where can you find other fabulous singles just like you? Here’s 8 proven ways:
- Have a hobby: where can you find someone like-minded? Doing something that you love, and they love doing too! Cooking classes, hiking, an art exhibit… it doesn’t matter what it is; what’s important is that you like doing it.
- Go wine tasting: most of us wouldn’t approach someone up in a bar. But at a wine tasting evening the lovely liquid is a prop, a shared interest, and a conversational lubricant. P.S. Scotch tastings work too!
- Head to an alumni event: attend a school, work or university networking event and reignite your mind; and just maybe, your love life too.
- Can you gig it?: there is something about a grubby yet creative space that loosens people up. Pick a small-ish, intimate gig where you can chat music, spill your beer and swap festival anecdotes.
- Go solo: whether you want to chill out on a beach, brush up on your yoga or climb a mountain, there are plenty of holidays out there for solo holiday goers where you can meet some top-notch singles.
- Attend a trendy singles event: hipster-approved singles events are jumping out of the woodwork at a surprising rate. Find one that seems fun to you, and bring a friend or two along.
- Say ‘Yes’: stop saying ‘no’ when friends or co-workers ask you out. Your chances of meeting someone when you’re out having a good time are as high as they’ll ever be.
- Hire a Matchmaker: there’s a reason why the matchmaking industry is exploding right now – because matchmaking works – especially if you’re a busy professional or entrepreneur, or if you value privacy & screening! Contact us today and we’ll get you started meeting fabulous singles right away.