You want a relationship that lasts, but how can you know? No matter how strong your feelings are at the start, the future is always uncertain - how will your relationship withstand the test of time & unknown challenges that come your way? Because there are clues. Early signs that your relationship will survive, and maybe even strengthen in the future, no matter what comes your way. Here's 7 signs your relationship will last:
- Trust is a must: trust is the cornerstone of any healthy partnership. With it, your relationship can thrive and withstand even the biggest challenges. Without it, you'll be ill-equipped to take on the really tough stuff.
- Shared life goals: if you and your partner have similar goals that would take you to similar places, that is a big factor in determining if you're in it for the long haul. This is a good reminder than you should be having frequent chats about what you want out of the relationship, and life, in regards to kids, marriage, jobs, and location.
- Physical intimacy: being unhappy with your sex life can be a strain on your relationship and could even cause a split. But physical intimacy comes in many forms, all of which are important. Whether it's a kiss hello or goodbye, snuggling on the couch, or holding hands. Even non-sexual touching builds connection between partners.
- Communication really matters: couples who are able to effectively communicate are able to better understand one another and experience greater intimacy. It’s important to have fun together, but if you can’t discuss really important matters together, the fun times may not last for the long term.
- Laughter is the best medicine: relationships (and life) aren’t always easy, but having lots of good and light times together can make the bad times a little easier. Consider laughter a booster shot against future adversity.
- Being wrong is right: healthy couples are willing to sacrifice their pride if it means ending an argument or letting their partner know that they are sorry - if you and your partner seem to do this equally, and move on quickly, your relationship is built to last.
- Support through tough times: if you trust your partner to support you during times of great distress (illness, money issues, family issues, etc.), it not only helps you get through it, but it also builds a lasting bond for the future – a virtuous cycle of relationship success.