First impressions matter in life – and they matter even MORE in dating. But your good first impression will only get you so far.
What happens after that first impression is even more important – a few misplaced phrases can leave you back where you started (nowhere).
- ‘What’s your name again?’: you may not be great at remembering names, but here’s a clue: If you want a successful love life, start remembering peoples names. Practice saying it before your date, or even make a note of it if that doesn’t work.
- ‘Ummm’: have you ever seen a news anchor, or anyone on TV or radio say ‘Ummm’ a lot? Probably not. That’s because they know it’s irritating and drowns out your actual message. Try pausing, thinking and taking a breath before you answer.
- ‘I’m having a terrible day’: there’s at least an equal chance your date’s had a bad day too – the difference: they’re not talking about it (and probably don’t want to). Be positive – if you don’t feel positive, fake it!
- ‘My last relationship was a disaster’: talking about your last relationship might be cathartic for you, but its a sure-fire chemistry killer on a date. Save that type of talk for later (much later).
- ‘Hope you don’t mind that I was late’: there’s only one thing to say when you arrive late to a first or second date, and this is definitely not it! A better answer: ‘I’m really sorry I’m late!’ The right answer: don’t be late.
- ‘Do you believe in God?’: you may or may not have strong feelings about religion – in either case, don’t bring it up when you’ve just met someone. It will almost surely go wrong.
- ‘Do you want kids?’: someone may or may not want kids (eventually) – but the answer they’ll give you when you’ve just met them might be the opposite of the answer they’ll give you once they’ve fallen in love with you.
- ‘I…I…Me…Me’: aim to spend half your time talking and half your time listening on your date – talking about yourself the whole night sends the message that you’re full of yourself. Which sucks, because you’re probably not.