Unlike some things in life, dating works best when you are enjoying yourself. By having a positive mindset, you are also showing the best version of yourself to your date, which maximizes the chances there will be a romantic connection. In fact, staying positive may be the BEST dating advice in the world. Here is the world's WORST dating advice:
- Show up late: showing up late on a first date may well quash any chances of a second date. Plan to arrive a bit early or call ahead to let your date know if you are going to be a few minutes late. You wouldn't show up late to an important business meeting, nor should you on a date.
- Talk and don't listen: try to find an equal balance between talking and listening on your date. Not asking any questions of your date gives the impression that you are not interested in them.
- Answer your phone and text during your date: answering your phone or texting during a date is rude and should always be avoided. If you do need to make an urgent call, ask your date if it would be okay for you to step outside for a few minutes to make the call; and be sure to return promptly.
- Be negative: everyone wants to be around a positive person; relax, tell some light hearted, funny stories and be positive on your date. You'll find this creates a 'virtuous cycle' whereby your date has more fun, as do you.
- Flirt with the wait staff: focusing your attention on your date is a basic sign of respect. Even in those instances where you are not feeling a strong connection with your date, your best best is to be polite and respectful and thus leave it on good terms. Who knows, your date may know someone down the line who is your perfect match!